PARKS & RECREATION DEPARTMENTWelcome to the McHenry Parks and Recreation Department. The department is governed by the City Council of McHenry and provides recreation Programs and Trips & Special Events for all ages. The Parks and Recreation Department manages Merkel Aquatic Center, Petersen Park Beach, as well as 38 Parks & Facilities which can be utilized for family, individual and community activities. Discover the benefits of parks and recreation!
Mission StatementRecognizing that leisure time activities and recreation are an important aspect of individual, family and community life; and that well planned public recreation programs, facilities and attractive, well maintained parks that supply the needed outlet for much of the leisure activity within a community; the City of McHenry will strive to efficiently and economically provide a variety of recreation programs, facilities, and open space which are designed to provide wholesome, constructive and enjoyable leisure time experiences that benefit the community.
HERE for information on fitness memberships and community rentals.
Volunteer OpportunitiesThe McHenry Parks & Recreation Department has several opportunities to assist with special events and recreation programs. Volunteers are needed for special events, dance recital, Fiesta Days events, pee wee camp programs, athletic programs, aquatic programs, swim lessons, swim team and pool special events.
If you are a student of McHenry High School, you can earn credit through S.O.S. (Service Opportunities for Students) program by volunteering hours.
Staff DirectoryAdministration Office Hours
Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Parks & Recreation Department - 815.363.2160, Fax - 815.363.3186
- Park Maintenance - 815.363.2168
- Merkel Aquatic Center - 815.363.2169 (summer only)
- Petersen Park Beach - 815.363.2126 (summer only)
Parks & Recreation Staff
- Recreation Center Manager - Matt LaPorte
- Recreation Supervisor - Cindy Witt
- Athletics & Aquatics Supervisor - Nicole Thompson
- Park & Downtown Maintenance Superintendent - Pat Gorniak
- Park & Downtown Maintenance Assistant Superintendent - Jeff Friedle
- Park Maintenance - Tracy Crowder
- Downtown/Park Maintenance - John Dillon
- Park Maintenance - Chris Etten
- Park Maintenance - Mike Harper
- Park Maintenance - Bob Zimmerman
- Administrative Assistant - Kathy Quick
- Office Assistant - Tina Conaway